Tuesday 28 February 2012

Teaching at St. Andre

It's been four weeks since we have officially started teaching at the St. Andre village school in Bodhjungnagar. When we got there a few weeks back, internal exams were going on so that we spent almost a week proctoring the students. This was quite interesting as it was very different to anything I have seen before. Grades 2 through 11 squeezed together on small benches in the library, auditorium or the verandas on each floor. It was overwhelming to be in a room with about 200 kids, 6 grades and all different tests and subjects. When distributing and collecting, I had to run around like a crazy woman because the students of one class were sitting far apart from each other. Then it was time to pace up and down the aisles and listen for the little whispers of students asking for extra paper. It sounded like they were calling me "Miss Paper." Here also, I was receiving many stares and glances and I felt bad because I really did not want to distract anyone. But props to the students, especially the small ones who sat through at 2 hours of exams.
After so many days of only proctoring, we were eager to finally start teaching. This proved to be challenging in many ways. On our first day, we missed the bus. Typical. The bus ride is 45 minutes through several villages on VERY bumpy roads. Our bus is overfilled with students and teachers. After a long exhausting day it is sometimes a lot to socialize with either students and teachers but I'm happy we can do it. This way, I've gotten to know them so much better. It's great!
I'm currently teaching Lit and Grammar to class 8b. There are 34 of them, and they are a great class! A lot of them are naughty (which kids are called here if they misbehave...it makes us chuckle every time) but in general they are a very quiet class. Actually too quiet. They don't really participate in class, and I often have to call on them. Luckily, I know all their names, some are easier to learn (e.g. John Christopher, Veronica) and others not so much (Boyarkwchang, Jensish, Jenish, Saijak).
It's very common among the tribal kids to be very shy and not speak up in class. So if I do call on them, it is mostly barely above a whisper. Especially the girls. One time, Solami, one of the girls, only moved her lips when she was reading part of a story. I tried to make her speak up, and the rest of the class was getting rowdy because it took so long. In the end, I made her stand up on a bench. It didn't seem to phase her, as she kept whispering.
Sometimes this gets really frustrating because we have to go at an extremely slow pace with the material. The situation is similiar in my 11th grade. I teach them Indian Economic Development. The book is not the greatest and I really have to stick to it most of the time. But the other day, I had them debate. They were a bit overwhelmed at first but it ended up being really rewarding because some kids really got into it. 11th grade is great, I think I'm really obsessed with them. They're older and I have their full attention most of the time. There are only 16 of them and I really adore them all. I know I am their teacher but I also want to be their friend so badly! The other day, I had Lucy come into my class to help with the debate and one of my students told her that I was the best! There are days that are really draining and disappointing, but a comment like that makes up for it.
Lately we have been preparing for the final exams that are in three weeks. All the teachers make their own tests and hand write them. We have taken over helping Sir Pintu, who usually does all the typing himself. Sometimes teaching at St. Andre is really crazy and unorganized because we can't get a real answer for a desperate question. But at the end of the day, I leave with a heavy, albeit tired heart. I just love my kids!!!!

Here is part of grade 11

No comments:

Post a Comment