Tuesday 7 February 2012

Agartala - where did everyone here learn to drive?

I'm blogging again, already, can you believe it?? I thought that the best way to keep this up would be to do random posts, and stay away from any kind of chronological order whatsoever. That's just not me. I'm hoping to keep everyone interested, especially specific people from Virginia whom I've never met but are still interested in my life ;-)
Anyway, tonight I would like to talk about the crazy city of Agartala. It's the only Indian city that I've been able to experience so I have no comparison. But I guess that's good, because this city cannot be compared with anything. Let's start with the most obvious...the roads! I have never had to share the streets with...cows, bike rikshas, auto rikshas, motorcycles, dogs, pedestrians, cars, buses, trucks, cats, bikes, chickens, bulls. On top of that, many of the vehicles are overloaded with 20 feet bamboo trunks, people, vegetables, clay or bricks, or bags with random items. And so far I haven't been able to discern any traffic rules, except for an unspoken rule of hierarchy: bigger vehicles have the right of way before smaller ones, motorised vehicles over those moving with man power. I have the most pity on bike rikshas, the drivers have to work so hard, yet they'll get pushed off the road the easiest. Yes, the little vehicle below with all the woodon it is a bike riksha.

Crossing the street is quite the endeavour because there are no pedestrian walks and never a quiet moment on the streets. People are selling their goods half on the street, half in tiny, over-filled stores. Honking is a necessity and everyone does it. All the time. Since we are almost the only foreigners in town, people will stare openly at us. There is no shame in this, and I like to stare back. Many will also take our picture, or we'll get asked to be photographed with someone in their shop. I'm sure that more often than not, we contribute a significant amount to the traffic jams since many drivers will turn their heads to look at us.
Getting into town is sometimes a hassle. Not because there are not enough auto rikshas (see below). But we've come to realize that many drivers try to overcharge us, hoping that we don't know how to bargain. We have been taking some Bengali lessons with a friend which helps a lot, and there will be times when the price really goes back and forth. Eventually, we end up paying around 50 rupees for a ride. That comes to about 1$. But you can't really think in terms of dollars here because the price level is so much lower for most goods and services here. I've paid 20 rupees for 20 small bananas, 650 for my sahree or 190 for leggings. 
Driving in a riksha is so much fun! The drivers like to weave through the traffic with exorbitant speed and more often than not, I thought that we would leave our side mirrors behind. If not more. We always get to where we want to be, though.
We're finding more and more stores that we like: M/S Laxmi bakery, a nice cafe, and different book stores. And OF COURSE the occasional clothing store. So many options!! I've had my first street food (samosa) and I was fine! Agartala is definitely a sight to see.

2 comments:

  1. Christa - you are too funny! Glad you are enjoying the sights and sounds of Agartala. Wait until you really get to see Kolkata!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi,Christa! I m Padmanava, an ex-student of Holy Cross, Agartala(2010 passout). It seems you enjoyed roaming Agartala.
      And I find it quite interesting and fascinating that you wrote about it. And as far as street food is concerned you should definitely try "Phuchka"or "Panipuri",they are really awesome and the best in Agartala. And I hope you have wonderful time in the festivities such as Holi,Bengali New Year, Durga Puja and Diwali. Hope,you have a wonderful stay at Agartala!!

      Delete