Thursday 12 July 2012

Teaching this year at Saint Andre

Remember me? Contrary to popular belief I have not disappeared in the vast country of India. Due to the fact that I haven’t updated my blog in months you might think so but I’ve been quite busy with school this semester. Now that we have two weeks off (5 days of which we spent in Dhaka – maybe I’ll blog about it in 2 or 3 months ;-) I’m finally taking the time to update you on the most important part of my time in India – Teaching!
My work load has dramatically increased from last school year. I am now teaching the following: English in class 5a, Moral Science in 6a, Value Education in 9a, Environmental Education in 9b and 10, Indian Economic Development in class 11 and Intro to Economics in class 12. I see class 9 and 10 only once a week, but English and Moral Science meets three and two times, Indian Development is 4 times a week and Econ 7 times. So there’s a range and some classes need more lesson planning than others. Both of my Econ classes definitely take the most preparation time but I also enjoy teaching those the most. This is true not only because of the subject but also because I really love the kids in 11 and 12.

Class 11 just joined Saint Andre and there are 60 of them. Thankfully they pay attention and take great notes. They also laugh at my silly jokes! During breaks I love to hang out with the boys from that class, 15 of which are studying to become Brothers. They are inquisitive, sweet and funny and I’m impressed that they have made such a choice at their young age.
I took this picture of school during vacation if you're wondering where all the students are!












My students in class 12 and I have become even closer. They were my favorite class last year and now I teach them a difficult subject seven times a week. Sometimes I think they’ve become too comfortable with me because once in a while, they are not too shy to tell me that they are bored in class. I’ve incorporated the Smart Board (we now have 4 of them at school) as often as I need it but we don’t always have electricity. The material I’m teaching is something I didn’t study until college and I understand why they are overwhelmed with what they have to study. I try to break the material down as much as possible but it’s so frustrating. Luckily there are only 14 of them so I can concentrate on each of them and try to help them outside of class. They have national exams at the end of the year and then they are finished so I want them all to do well.
School grounds and chapel
My other classes are going well, sometimes a bit too crazy or impossible to stick to my lesson plan but that’s okay. I think teaching has a lot to do with spontaneity and quick thinking. I’ve started to just hang out with my kids during breaks which really makes my day. Or I’ll play volleyball with them but then I have to cope with sweat stinging my eyes in my next class! Here’s a shout out to all you teachers, either substitute, full or half time! I admire you for your strength, perseverance and patience!!

Charlotte and Lucy are switching to Holy Cross, the school in Agartala, and will start teaching there next Monday. I’m sad that they’re leaving but also excited for Tom and Iain to join me in Bodhjungnagar. That’s all from me for now, hopefully the next blog entry isn’t too far away.


The stage and where we have assembly every other day





1 comment: